Monday, October 30, 2006

Silwood Park





This is terribly terribly overdue. But nevermind.

Recently, had field trip to one of the university's other campuses. What was really nice was that it was set in lovely lovely countryside (see picture for the Manor House, which is the main building), with acres of woodland, grassland, and what not.

What was slightly scary was that the entire place was used for ecological experiments, and that cages and traps and wire fences and random logs just kept popping up everywhere you so happened to wander.

Basically went around collecting data (think tramping about in the woods, wading in waist deep thorny bushes and stinging nettles, waving nets about in streams, etc) and enjoying the fresh air. Oh, and this is totally random but I caught two crayfish. And I saw a deer, dozens of rabbits and four pheasants.

As you can see, it was simply beautiful, so I don't think I can put it adequately in words. Suffice it to say that the ragged scars from thorns and nettle-stings were worth it.

I love the countryside.

For pictures of the wild woods, visit http://www.flickr.com/photos/greyschmetterling.

Will blog more when I feel more inspired.

1 comment:

Zhiyong said...

ooh acorns!! they look so edible. hm. are they?? hahaha