I can not understate my appreciation for Arts Central screening classical music concerts almost every week.
Yesterday it was a concert by the Berlin Philharmonic (one of my favoritest symphony orchestras) with a heady dose of French music.
[rave mode]
Saint-Seans! Ravel! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
[/rave mode]
Cough. Ahem.
Anyway they played one of the great favorites: Saint-Sean's Carnival of the Animals. I thought "The Swan" was especially moving. (What am I talking about? It's the only really moving movement in the entire suite...in my opinion anyway)
I really must try to stop rambling so much and form clear, coherent thought.
*Deep breath*
Nope. It's beyond me. I'm done for.
ANYWAY.
The concert was open-air in somewhere in Germany. What really struck me was the enthusiasm of the audience. The place was literally SWARMING with people and their picnic baskets. After every piece they would cheer and whoop and seem absolutely thrilled that they were listening to classical music. The applause was deafening, and by the end everyone was on their feet clapping and cheering and generally prancing along to the music.
What an atmosphere.
Even I, sprawled comfortably out on a couch in front of the TV, felt a slight stirring within me. And I couldn't wipe off the grin on my face for hours. (Freaky huh.)
Which leaves us with this thought : Would you see this sort of reaction in Singapore?
Aside: http://library.wellcome.ac.uk/doc_WTL038432.html is very funny. Snicker.
Monday, July 10, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment